Sometimes people eat healthy foods, but in too large of portions. Proper portion sizes can make a big difference when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight. Smaller portions mean that you are having fewer calories, but it can also mean you are getting a better balance of foods. Check out this chart for helpful ways to measure the right portions of the different foods you eat. Also, check out this site for more detailed portion size suggestions.
Here are some other helpful tips to make sure you aren't eating too much:
- If you eat out at a restaurant, split a meal with someone, or take part of your meal home. Do not feel like you need to eat everything on the plate.
- When you prepare a meal for yourself, put away the extra food or keep it off the table so that you are less likely to go back for more helpings.
- If you eat in front of the TV or at your computer, measure out your portions beforehand, rather than bringing over a whole box of food. We tend not to pay attention to how much we eat when we are distracted.
- Eat off of smaller plates so that when you fill up the plate, it's not an excessive portion.
- Snack throughout the day.